Ulrich Grün <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> > > I'm trying to install new classes (cd-cover and cv), but somehow it
> > > doesn't work out.
> > > I've copied the *.cls to '/usr/share/lyx/tex', and the *.layout to
> > > '$HOME/.lyx/layouts', and the *.lyx templates to
> > > '/usr/share/lyx/templates' This done, I did a 'texhash' in order to let
> > > LaTeX know about the new classes. After a reconfiguration of LyX, I
> > > restarted. When I use the new templates, LyX complains that the
> > > textclasses are unknown.
> >
> > i suppose that the ~/.lyx/tex maybe not part of the textree, therefore
> > latex
> > can't find them. use the dir ~/.TeX, which is my home texdir.
> >
> > Herbert
>
> I haven't put the classes in ~./lyx/tex (my home dir), but in
> /usr/share/lyx/tex. Do you really mean that I should create a ./TeX directory
> in my Home?
>
>                              Ulrich

You should respect the depth of your tex tree when you install new
class files. For example I'd put your stuff into
/usr/share/texmf/tex/latex/, or, as I usually do, into
/usr/local/share/texmf/tex/latex/, which must be in your latex search
path.  Assuming you're on Linux w/ tetex, your /etc/texmf/tex.cnf
could begin with the following lines:

TEXMFMAIN = /usr/share/texmf
TEXMFLOCAL = /usr/local/share/texmf
HOMETEXMF = $HOME/Texmf
TEXMF = {!!HOMETEXMF,!!$TEXMFLOCAL,!!$TEXMFMAIN}
SYSTEXMF = $TEXMF
VARTEXFONTS  = /var/spool/texmf
TEXMFDBS = $TEXMF;$VARTEXFONTS

Then run texhash as root. You can use the /usr/local/ tree for
system-wide changes, and users can still set up their own trees in
their home dirs. What's found first is used first, so
/usr/local/ packages override default packages, and packages in home
dirs override /usr/local/ packages.

HTH

--
Andre Berger                                [[EMAIL PROTECTED]]