Anre Berger replies:
> You should respect the depth of your tex tree when you install new
> class files. For example I'd put your stuff into
> /usr/share/texmf/tex/latex/, or, as I usually do, into
> /usr/local/share/texmf/tex/latex/, which must be in your latex search
> path.  Assuming you're on Linux w/ tetex, your /etc/texmf/tex.cnf
> could begin with the following lines:

Hmm, I'm faced with yet another problem: I don't have an /etc/texmf/tex.cnf
(nor have I anywhere else on my system 'tex.cnf').
Could TeTeX be misinstalled? (I have used the upgrade from RH6.2 --> RH7.0)

                             Ulrich
               *Linux: the choice of a GNU generation*
Ulrich Grün
   mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED], [EMAIL PROTECTED]
          icq: 35629246
System: AMD-K6 350, 192MB. OS: RedHat 7, Kernel: 2.2.18