Virgil,

I have shortened and reformatted slightly for ease of reference.

On 2021-10-05 15:24 , Virgil Arrington wrote:
[...]
Unlike our good Dr.  E.L., I can't leave my slide designs alone.
[...]

Actually constant misunderimprovements are one of the mistakes one
often makes in presentations.

I tried to do the same thing in LyX.
[...]
After much searching online, I learned about the LaTeX \xcolor
package, which provides access to many, many more colors.

The query

        https://www.google.com/search?q=lyx+text+color

returns 1260000 results, the very FIRST of which

        https://tex.stackexchange.com/questions/33225/color-text-in-lyx

explains this quite nicely.

[...]
I then hit Ctrl-R to compile my slides and was met with a LaTeX error
of "Option clash for package xcolor."  Say, what!?

As xcolor is loaded by LyX I just add something like

        \definecolor{MyBlue}{HTML}{000040}
        \definecolor{Firebrick4}{HTML}{8b1a1a}

to my preamble

[...]

So, yes LyX/Beamer worked, but only after I spent many hours learning
about an xcolor package to get the shade I wanted and troubleshooting
errors.  As you can imagine, I could tell many other stories with
similar processes and outcomes.

        https://www.google.com/search?q=xcolor+site%3A.lyx.org

shows 51 hits (on *.lyx.org), and after 30 years with LaTeX (and 15
with lyx) looking for stuff has become second nature.

It seems you have an aversion towards RTFM :-)-O, even though one only
needs to do this once.  I must say, even in (not so deep) Africa we have
Internet speed which allows me to look stuff up on the web as fast as in
the online help.

[...]
The difference -- for me at least -- is that, with LO, I can usually
track down errors and solve problems from within the program itself
without having to resort to extensive other documentation or online
StackExchange threads.
[...]

And, in case someone is interested I attach the template I use if I have
to write something for our weekly Continuing Professional Development/
Continuing Medical Education sessions.

In the preamble I include the multimedia package because sometimes I
like to play videos from within the PDF :-)-O, scrdate because I like
the \ISOToday (YYYY-MM-DD), as I wrote earlier I like a modified
metropolis theme, the NOTO fonts (need to be added late in the preamble,
never bothered to figure out why :-)-O), mess a bit around with the
formatting and font family, put a Draft/Date into the background and
make provision for handouts which are commented out.

I add

        17pt, xcolor=svgnames,aspectratio=1610

to Document --> Document Class --> Custom: because I like it big, am
used to svgnames rather than dvipsnames and I in particular like the
aspect ration change to that I get more real estate on the screen.

greetings, el

#LyX 2.3 created this file. For more info see http://www.lyx.org/
\lyxformat 544
\begin_document
\begin_header
\save_transient_properties true
\origin unavailable
\textclass beamer
\begin_preamble
\usepackage{multimedia}
%
% General
%
\usepackage{scrdate}
% very dark blue
%
\definecolor{MyBlue}{HTML}{000040}
\definecolor{MyRed}{HTML}{8b1a1a}
%
% Metropolis
%

\useoutertheme[%
   progressbar=foot,
   numbering=none
]{metropolis}

\useinnertheme[%
   sectionpage=progressbar
]{metropolis}

\usecolortheme{metropolis-highcontrast}

\usefonttheme[%
   titleformat title=smallcaps,
   titleformat subtitle=smallcaps,
   titleformat section=smallcaps,
   titleformat frame=smallcaps,
]{metropolis}

\makeatletter
\setlength{\metropolis@titleseparator@linewidth}{1pt}
\setlength{\metropolis@progressonsectionpage@linewidth}{1pt}
\setlength{\metropolis@progressinheadfoot@linewidth}{2pt}
\makeatother

%
% chnage font, after last metropolis entry
%
\usepackage[medium]{noto}

% Theme colors are derived from these two elements
\setbeamercolor{background canvas}{bg=}

\setbeamercolor{alerted text}{fg=MyRed}
\setbeamercolor{progress bar}{fg=MyRed}

\setbeamercolor{frametitle}{bg=MyBlue, fg=white}
\setbeamercolor{title separator}{fg=MyBlue, bg=white}
\setbeamercolor{title}{fg=MyBlue, bg=white}
\setbeamercolor{subtitle}{fg=MyBlue, bg=white}
\setbeamercolor{institute}{fg=MyBlue, bg=white}
\setbeamercolor{author}{fg=MyBlue, bg=white}
\setbeamercolor{date}{fg=MyBlue, bg=white}

\setbeamersize{text margin left=0.5cm}
\setbeamersize{text margin right=0.5cm}

\setbeamerfont{section title}{family=\rmfamily}
\setbeamerfont{subsection title}{family=\rmfamily}
\setbeamerfont{frametitle}{family=\rmfamily}
\setbeamerfont{title}{family=\rmfamily}

\setbeamerfont*{description item}{series=\bfseries,family=\sffamily}

\setbeamertemplate{section in toc}[sections numbered]

\usepackage[anythingbreaks]{breakurl}
\Urlmuskip=0mu plus 1mu

\usepackage{background}
\backgroundsetup{%
    color=gray,
    contents={Draft, \ISOToday},
    opacity=0.3,
    placement=center,
    angle=25,
    scale=2
}

%\usepackage{handoutWithNotes}
%\pgfpagesuselayout{4 on 1 with notes}[a4paper, border shrink=5mm]
%\pgfpagesuselayout{4 on 1}[a4paper, landscape, border shrink=5mm]
\end_preamble
\options 17pt, xcolor=svgnames,aspectratio=1610
\use_default_options false
\maintain_unincluded_children false
\begin_local_layout
Format 66
PackageOptions fontspec no-math
Requires fontspec
\end_local_layout
\language english
\language_package default
\inputencoding auto
\fontencoding global
\font_roman "default" "default"
\font_sans "default" "default"
\font_typewriter "default" "default"
\font_math "auto" "auto"
\font_default_family default
\use_non_tex_fonts false
\font_sc false
\font_osf false
\font_sf_scale 100 100
\font_tt_scale 85 85
\use_microtype true
\use_dash_ligatures true
\graphics default
\default_output_format pdf5
\output_sync 1
\bibtex_command default
\index_command default
\paperfontsize default
\spacing single
\use_hyperref true
\pdf_author "Dr Eberhard W Lisse"
\pdf_subject "CPD"
\pdf_bookmarks true
\pdf_bookmarksnumbered false
\pdf_bookmarksopen false
\pdf_bookmarksopenlevel 1
\pdf_breaklinks true
\pdf_pdfborder true
\pdf_colorlinks true
\pdf_backref false
\pdf_pdfusetitle true
\pdf_pagemode FullScreen
\pdf_quoted_options "urlcolor=blue, linkcolor=black"
\papersize default
\use_geometry true
\use_package amsmath 2
\use_package amssymb 2
\use_package cancel 0
\use_package esint 0
\use_package mathdots 1
\use_package mathtools 0
\use_package mhchem 1
\use_package stackrel 0
\use_package stmaryrd 0
\use_package undertilde 0
\cite_engine basic
\cite_engine_type default
\biblio_style plain
\use_bibtopic false
\use_indices false
\paperorientation portrait
\suppress_date false
\justification true
\use_refstyle 0
\use_minted 0
\branch Deleted
\selected 0
\filename_suffix 0
\color #faf0e6
\end_branch
\index Index
\shortcut idx
\color #008000
\end_index
\secnumdepth 2
\tocdepth 2
\paragraph_separation indent
\paragraph_indentation default
\is_math_indent 0
\math_numbering_side default
\quotes_style english
\dynamic_quotes 0
\papercolumns 1
\papersides 1
\paperpagestyle default
\tracking_changes false
\output_changes false
\html_math_output 0
\html_css_as_file 0
\html_be_strict false
\end_header

\begin_body

\begin_layout Title
Title
\end_layout

\begin_layout Subtitle
Subtitle
\end_layout

\begin_layout Institute
CPD
\end_layout

\begin_layout Author

\size normal
\begin_inset CommandInset href
LatexCommand href
name "Dr EW Lisse"
target "e...@lisse.na"
type "mailto:";
literal "false"

\end_inset

\end_layout

\begin_layout Date
2018-02-16
\end_layout

\begin_layout Standard
\begin_inset Separator plain
\end_inset

\end_layout

\begin_layout Frame
\begin_inset Argument 4
status collapsed

\begin_layout Plain Layout
Table of Contents
\end_layout

\end_inset

\end_layout

\begin_deeper
\begin_layout Standard
\begin_inset CommandInset toc
LatexCommand tableofcontents

\end_inset

\end_layout

\end_deeper
\begin_layout Standard
\begin_inset Separator plain
\end_inset

\end_layout

\begin_layout Section
Introduction
\end_layout

\begin_layout Frame
\begin_inset Argument 4
status collapsed

\begin_layout Plain Layout
Introduction
\end_layout

\end_inset

\end_layout

\begin_deeper
\begin_layout Itemize
No Text
\end_layout

\end_deeper
\begin_layout Standard
\begin_inset Separator plain
\end_inset

\end_layout

\begin_layout Section
Second Section
\end_layout

\begin_layout Frame
\begin_inset Argument 4
status collapsed

\begin_layout Plain Layout
First Frame
\end_layout

\end_inset

\end_layout

\begin_deeper
\begin_layout Itemize
No Text
\end_layout

\end_deeper
\begin_layout Standard
\begin_inset Separator plain
\end_inset

\end_layout

\begin_layout Frame
\begin_inset Argument 4
status collapsed

\begin_layout Plain Layout
Second
\end_layout

\end_inset

\end_layout

\begin_deeper
\begin_layout Itemize
No Graph
\end_layout

\end_deeper
\begin_layout Standard
\begin_inset Separator plain
\end_inset

\end_layout

\begin_layout Section
Question Time
\end_layout

\begin_layout Standard
\begin_inset ERT
status collapsed

\begin_layout Plain Layout

\backslash
setbeamertemplate{frame footer}{}
\end_layout

\begin_layout Plain Layout

\backslash
setbeamercolor{background canvas}{bg=MyBlue}
\end_layout

\begin_layout Plain Layout

\backslash
setbeamercolor{progress bar}{fg=MyBlue}