On 05/10/2021 22:51, Virgil Arrington wrote:
On 10/5/2021 2:45 PM, Dr Eberhard Lisse wrote:
[...]
Actually constant misunderimprovements are one of the mistakes one
often makes in presentations.

I suspect you're right, but I just can't leave things alone.

Once of my CPD/CME presentations (2016) was about what not to do in
PowerPoint :-)-O and I went so far as to have my colleagues choose which
font they want to see my presentations in and whether Sans Serif is
better for the screen than Serif (which it is).

Of course this intervention did not result in a change of behavior on
their part :-)-O, but I at least wanted to do what I preach (pardon the
pun).

[...]
Even setting this aside, adding your color redefinitions to the
preamble is only helpful if you know what the color codes "000040" and
"8b1a1a" actually mean.

         https://www.google.com/search?q=color+8b1a1a

brings up the color picker as the first element on the page :-)-O

LibreOffice's method of pointing to a color in a palette on the
toolbar is certainly easier and quicker than making all these preamble
modifications.

This is a conceptual and intentional difference.

That said, I will concede that once these preamble changes are made in
LyX, you're good to go on any future documents.

With LaTeX you are forced or at least encouraged to make changes only
in the preamble (in the sense that they affect the appearance of the
elements such as titles globally) so that the document has a consistent
look.

Before TurnItIn, a colleague of mine lecturing at the U picked up
plagiarism by just looking at the styles as most younglings don't notice
(subtle) differences in their copy-'n-paste.

[...]
And, in case someone is interested I attach the template I use if I
have to write something for our weekly Continuing Professional
Development/ Continuing Medical Education sessions.

Your template is both beautiful and an example of what one can do with
a LaTeX education. I'm impressed.

Thanks.

But, I was curious when you said you use a modified Metropolis theme.

Actually, I use the plain Metropolis style with my (preamble)
modifications, and in particular stuff like showing the progress on the
bottom of the slides (read line) instead of the #/# (I don't want my
audience to start counting slides till to go :-)-O and the Questions?
page)

Just for fun, I wanted to see how much work it would be to add a
slanted date background to a LibreOffice Impress slide presentation.
[...]

There are a number of ways on how to watermark a document.

I like this background package because one can take a (church?)  logo,
experiment with size and transparency as the background of the slide,
and this gains a little real estate.
Thank you for sharing your template.  It has a wealth of information
in it and could save a user a ton of research time in learning how to
do what you already know.
[...]

Took a few weekends to RTFM :-)-O but has been quite stable now for many
years.

You have inspired me to play more with Beamer.  I'm impressed with
what you have accomplished.
[...]

I have been saying since Medical School in the 80's when I learned LaTeX
on VMS, that there is nothing I can do in Word that I can't do at least
as well in LaTeX, and this is still true (including LO Writer).

Something similar applies to PowerPoint/Impress/Keynote, though I grant
you Steve Jobs had a way with this (and a huge department designing
the presentation) :-)-O

greetings, el

--
To email me replace 'nospam' with 'el'