Why is it so hard to get people to use styles? I worked recently with a
friend to convert his Word document into an ePub. My advice is don't ever,
ever do this! Even though I had advocated the use of styles, he had spent
hours using direct formatting.

And it is not just amateurs. I write for a service that insists on using
Word documents (who knows why?) and the stuff they send me is all direct
formatting.

I know that this is preaching to the choir here, but I wondered if anyone
had a strategy that convinced others to work with styles.

Cheers,
Alan