On Tue, Mar 16, 2004 at 07:20:05PM +0100, Uwe Stöhr wrote:
> I've never seen that before. This seems to be a bug. What have you done
> to create the formulas? When you put the cursor in the formula, LyX
> status bar says Type: none. I tried to reproduce this but failed.

One way to create this is to write text _not_ surrounded by $...$,
mark it, and press C-m.

This is slightly different from 1.2.x where it didn't matter whether
you used $...$ or not. The corresponding 'guessing logic' was broken,
though (created a mess with $ in \mboxes), so I dropped it at some point
of time. Nowadays you need at least the initial $ (or \( or \[ for
displayed math) to convert it to 'real' math, everything else gets
converted to some kind of 'math text'.

[And for the curious: Yes, that means we have had the possibility to
create 'real' 'WYSIWYM' text mode macros for quite some while now.
However, as the macro facility needs a general face lift, I refrained
from advertising this (too much)...]

Andre'