The problem I was having (see below) has been resolved, finally. It
seems that some of my 7 pt cmr and cmmi fonts somehow became corrupted.
Any file using the default 10 pt size for "normal" uses 7 pt for
_inline_ fractions, sub and superscripts, and the limits on integrals or
sums. The corrupted 7 pt font files then caused the errors when choosing
the View > pdflatex or File > Print. After it became clear that it
wasn't just one 7 pt font file that was corrupted, I reinstalled TeX and
everything works just fine.

I want to thank the list for its helpful suggestions along the way,
especially Herbert Voss, Ronald Florence, Stephen Buonopane, Bo Peng,
and Andre Poenitz.

Bruce