I think I have finally figured out the source of my problem: When a lyx
file uses the default 10 pt font size, then any inline fraction, sub or
superscript, or other "decorations" (like limits on sums or integrals),
will be in 7 pt. And I seem to have a problem with a 7 pt font in my
tetex installation. For example, taking a new file using the 10 pt
default for the "normal" size, inserting an inline fraction 1/2, and
selecting View > pdflatex, produces an error message and a latex log
file which ends like this:

</var/tmp/texfonts/pk/ljfour/jknappen/ec/ecrm1000.600pk>{/usr/local/
teTeX/sha
re/texmf.tetex/dvips/tetex/f7b6d320.enc}</usr/local/teTeX/share/
texmf.tetex/fonts/type1/bluesky/cm/cmr7.pfb
Error: pdflatex (file
/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.tetex/fonts/type1/bluesky/cm
/cmr7.pfb): unexpected end of file
  ==> Fatal error occurred, the output PDF file is not finished!

What does this tell me? That the font cmr7.pfb is missing? Corrupted?
Misplaced? What's the best way to fix this? As a work-around I can set
my files to use 11 pt as the normal, so that subscripts etc will be in 8
pt. Then all is well. But I would like to fix this font problem. (This
doesn't have anything to do with the fact that I never downloaded the
CMS Super package, does it?)

Bruce