James W Dow schrieb:
> LyX is a wonderful word processor. It is best one for writing mathematics
> directly from the keyboard. Please don't spend a huge time developing it for
> Windows. Windows will gradually fade away. Putting nice programs like LyX on
> that operating system just delays people switching to a version of Linux,
> where they really should be. Feeding software to Windows just lets it grow
> profits for people who are doing nothing positive for the computing
> community.

I use and try to spread the use of Lyx on Windows. My colleagues are likely to
adopt it once 1.4 is
out with working latex import. There is no way that they switch OS because we
need some specialized
apps that only run under Windows. (Please don't reply with hints on wine, qemu,
etc., I've tried it
all.) Similar for me: I came from the Mac, have used Linux (and like it), and
use Windows because I
must. Almost everything I work with is open source, except one or two
show-stoppers. (Please don't
reply I should port/replicate the apps myself, I can't.)

Bottom line: If Angus (and Ruurd before him) hadn't developed Lyx for Windows,
I still would use
Linux to some extent, but not for Lyx: I would NOT use Lyx for serious work.
(Instead I would
probably use Scientific Word for which btw I have a valid license and still
prefer Lyx.)

-Sven