----- Original Message ----- From: "Sven Schreiber" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Stephen Harris" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Cc: "LyX Users List" <lyx-users@lists.lyx.org>
Sent: Wednesday, January 04, 2006 4:51 AM
Subject: Re: [announce] sixth release of LyXWinInstaller

Stephen Harris schrieb:

The Miktex installation states that it is recommended to install
Miktex to a directory without spaces.
http://www.tex.ac.uk/tex-archive/systems/win32/miktex/setup/install.html#id421158

I think it is certainly the most efficient practice for a new user
to follow the guidelines. I guess your solution has theoretical
interest and might be suitable for an advanced user who has
chosen to ignore the directions for whatever reason. Your

A user does not always have sufficient privileges on a machine to
install in other places than "My
Documents". Then a workaround is needed.

Angus' reply is essentially similar to that of Herbert. .bst, .cls and .sty
files are all essentially the same in this regard; they belong in a TeX
tree. If you're not willing to create J:\tex\local (which can be mapped
from C:\Some place that TeX will hate\) then you're making your own
life excessively hard.

An ordinary user can install the files you mention above in C:\texmf ;
but could not manage to install to say,  C:\program files\lyx

I didn't realize that you installed TrueCrypt under My Documents
because you had insufficient rights to install it to C:\TrueCrypt
which I guess means you couldn't install Winzip to C:\Winzip
System admins can turn off email and internet browsing but
I hadn't heard of the severe restriction you mention being imposed.

Good luck,
Stephen