Stephen Harris schrieb:

Uwe's installer requires searching the Windows registry in
a way that is avoided by the Angus installer. Uwe likes this.

No, you don't need admin privileges to _read_ registry entries, we need to _write_ some, for example the global PATH variable for Imagemagick.

Before Uwe created the LyXWinInstaller, one needed to download
and install the separate helper programs for LyX. I have already
quoted warnings from both Miktex and Python docs which stressed
that the user doing the install needed admin rights for Miktex
or that Python would have limitations in a non-admin install.

Yes I forgot this, python is restricted to have admin permission when it is installed. I don't know why.

Next, the Win1.4.x installer is still beta and there is a list
of potential problems at http://wiki.lyx.org/Windows/LyX14x
so it is prudent/competent to install the LyX1.3.7 version.

It's not beta! LyXWIninstaller is now very stable: I have several thousand downloads of it and got only three valid bug reports that are fixed in the actual version. LyX 1.4.x foe windows has some problems. The only one you can blame Angus or me is that the localized menus don't work. The rest are normal LyX bugs. The J:\ drive problem is a boost bug.

regards Uwe