Sven Hoexter wrote:

> Hello,
> I'd like to see the Debian package in the archive back in sync with the
> upstream version.

That would be very nice indeed.

> I contacted Erinn Clark yesterday (she's listed in the pkg-lyx[1] project
> on alioth.debian.org) and she told me that the package is in an orphaned
> state but just not marked beeing O. The other former maintainer, Rob Weir,
> is MIA.

What is MIA?

> - The /debian/ subdir from 1.3.6 seems to be in a good shape and is using
> dpatch so
>   I will stay with it. There are some fix me notes in the rules file but
>   that should not matter for the moment.

The 1.3.6 debian subdir needs some more fixes for 1.4.x. I did those, and
you can see the result at http://wiki.lyx.org/LyX/LyXOnDebian#toc6. Note
that small tweaks are needed for 1.4.2svn, I can provide an update if
needed.

I suggest you start from http://wiki.lyx.org/LyX/LyXOnDebian insetad of the
1.3.6 version.

> - I've read something about a gtk frontend and found it in the Lyx source
> but there is
>   no configure option for it and it's not mentioned in the README/INSTALL
>   files. What's that? How can we use it? Is it alpha stuff you should not
>   use? Would be cool if someone could enlight me what's that all about.

It is not documented because it is experimental and not ready for use.

> - Is there a DD out in the wild internet willing to sponsor a new Lyx
> package?

That is the biggest problem. I suggest you find somebody who is willing to
do that before doing anything else, because we have enough unofficial
packages already. Maybe it would help if Erinn Clark orphaned the package
officially.

Georg