Stephen Harris wrote:
Eric Zollars wrote:

I have a figure that is imported and rotated 90 degrees (so it reads down to up), but the caption remains left to right.

Is there a way to make a caption (in a float) read down to up?

Eric

http://www.ece.tamu.edu/~tex/manual/node37.html

"If a figure or table is too wide, you may try to rotate the figure or table 90 degrees counter-clockwise to produce a landscape figure or table. Figures can be rotated using the angle option in \includegraphics. If the caption also needs to be rotated, use the \rotcaption command instead of \caption command in the \figure environment. The \rotcaption command requires \usepackage{rotating} to be placed before the \begin{document} in the thesis.tex file. For example,

\begin{figure}
\includegraphics[angle=90]{file.ps}
\rotcaption{Figure Caption}
\label{fig}
\end{figure}

Tables and figures can be rotated using the \sideways environment. This environments always rotates 90 degrees counter-clockwise."

There is a caption package also. I'm not sure this answered your
question if you meant something like:

Yes, if you meant rotate to landscape and maintain
prior caption orientation. A useful resource: www.tug.org/tex-archive/info/visualFAQ/visualFAQ.pdf
For instance the 1st page answers your copyright and trademark question.

Regards,
Stephen

Thanks for the references, and I guess I was not perfectly clear.

If I have a figure:

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
Figure 4.2 bbbbbbbbbbbbbbb

I want the whole block (figure and citation) to be rotated counterclockwise.

Is there a way to do this in LyX? Specifically in the float environment?

I will try your LaTeX solution.

Thanks.
Eric