Comments within

On 6/12/06, Steve Litt <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Why can't the original author label his or her contribution as "Licensed under the
GNU General Public License, Version 2", or similar. Layout files are code, so the
GPL fits them well. Speaking for myself, I'd be hesitant to contribute anything without
GPL'ling it, because some licenses leave open the door for a big bad company to change my
layout just a little bit and take it proprietary, and who knows, some day sue me for
using code derived from their code, and then I have to prove that mine preceded theirs.

**No, that is not a realistic worry. Your version would obviously
predate theirs, so yours would be "prior art" in the language of
intellectual property law.

The resource may specify the license under which contributed layouts
are to be governed by, the authors may specify (or simply fail to
submit any if there is a license they don't care for!), or the site
may have language that "those layouts contributed that do not
otherwise specify a license are governed by the xyz license at this
link." That would cover the bases, I think.

There is a considerable debate, as you probably know, about whether
the GPL is a good idea for areas such as these in which a layout may
be used to create commercial documents. That is why I would suggest
something like the BSD approach that permits commercial use.

As a practical matter, I do not believe that these layout files would
be a problem in any event. As I stated previously, there are only so
many ways a given effect can be attained to result in a particular
layout feature. Thus, this is not something that can easily be
licensed as any sort of exclusive thing. I likened it to fonts,
wherein the actual outline files cannot be copyrighted, but the names
can be.

Unlike original program code, a layout file is constrained by the
existing application.

Finally, it is unlikely that layout files themselves would be an
issue--since the objective is the documents created with that layout
file and not the layout file itself. I really think that this
discussion is largely the result of worry over what is very unlikely
to happen to begin with--but a reasonable application of a license is
certainly not a bad idea at all.

David