Steve Harris <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Paul A. Rubin wrote:
> > Steve Harris wrote:
> >

> >> I have LyX 1.4.2 installed and alt-f4 kills lyx but not cmd.exe
> >> My keyboard requires using an F-lock key to enable standard features.
> >>

> > Hmm.  I was going to ask John and Ed whether alt-F4 kills programs other
> > than LyX that are being run in shells (rather than as native Windows
> > apps) (if I'm expressing that distinction correctly).  My suspicion was
> > that maybe failure to kill cmd.exe implied inability to kill anything
> > running in a shell.  However, if alt-F4 kills LyX and not cmd.exe for

So, cmd.exe and command.exe when started from Start->Run both do not respond to
Alt-F4 for me either.  Other things started from cmd.exe command prompt do
listen to Alt F4 c:\windows\system32\winmine.exe and dvdplay.exe both respond to
Alt-F4.

I run most of my stuff from a cygwin shell, but everything closes on Alt-F4
except cmd.exe and lyx.exe.  Even when I start lyx from the desktop shortcut, it
does not respond to Alt-F4.  Even when I double click on the cmd.exe in
windows/system32 it does not respond to F4.

I have tried cmd.exe on about 6 xp machines, Alt-F4 does nothing on any of them
for cmd.exe.

The exact lyx installer is the most recent, the 2.0 installer for 1.41

lyxwininstall/LyxWin141Complete-2.01.exe

Even just running lyx.exe (not lyx.bat) appears to open a shell for a second
before the application launches... Very odd, I wonder what is up.  Maybe the
shell is the root of all problems with Alt-F4.

> That is actually quite a good theory...because there are different
> versions of installers and the original port might not have had a
> "hook"(?) built into it. But it wouldn't explain a difference in
> behavior at an OS level, methinks. I just tried Alt-F4 on my Win98
> machine Dos-prompt and that doesn't affect it. I thought perhaps
> your system might have had an earlier compatibility mode enabled,
> which would produce a different result. I'll look into it.

This stuff is crazy.   I tried posting on some MS "help" pages, and the "MS
experts" suggested I use Alt-Space then C, which breaks the standard that Alt-F4
closes everything, like hitting the big red X.