On Thursday 21 February 2008 06:48, Pavel Sanda wrote:
> > Deleting and re-extracting the source tree did the trick. So the steps to
> > cure the problem turned out to be:
>
> Good to hear.
>
> Steve, if you think that README & INSTALL files put you somewhere
> in the wrong direction, the best you can do is to send us the corrections.
>
> Pavel

I'm debriefing myself on what went wrong and how to prevent it, and if it's
not preventable how to recognize it early.

For now, the one bad piece of information was actually a lack of
information -- specifically, that an errored out ./configure or maybe even an
errored out make leave junk in the tree preventing compilation, even after
the root cause (in my case lack of libqt4-devel) was cured.

So I'd add something like:

WARNING!!! ALWAYS DELETE AND RESTORE YOUR LYX 1.5.3 SOURCE TREE AFTER A
BLOWN ./CONFIGURE OR MAKE!!!

And then add a sentence saying why.

Thanks

SteveT

Steve Litt
Books written in LyX:
        Troubleshooting Techniques of the Successful Technologist
        Twenty Eight Tales of Troubleshooting
        Troubleshooting: Just the Facts