Quoting Bennett Helm <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

On Feb 24, 2008, at 9:13 PM, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

In summary, I'm mentioning a few problems here:

Main one is:

1) creating a footnote from existing text causing unusable formatting.

I'm not following your description of this problem. Is the problem that
when you copy and paste, LyX is copying the paragraph formatting? -- If
so, you can edit the formatting by selecting Edit > Paragraph Settings

I've tried to fix it with Edit > Paragraph by selecting just the footnote text as well as the whole paragraph. Doesn't solve it -- presumably because it doesn't have an option to undo the formatting -- I can only choose, left, right, justified or centered.

The problem is that when I create a new footnote and paste text into it from elsewhere, (OR if I select text and execute footnote -- either way) it adds a whole blank line between the footnote number and the footnote text in the dvi or ps view of the footnote footer.

Seems that in earlier versions of LyX this was never a problem. Now the only way I can do it is to completely re-type the footnote contents.

2) being able to import .rtf files

I've found it's easiest to convert .rtf to .tex, then edit the .tex
file to clean it up, removing all the excess formatting with simple
search and replace, and then import into LyX.

thanks -- I'll try that.

3) Getting view source to view the paragraph in which the cursor resides as the User Guide says it will.

It seems like this problem arises when the "Automatic update" option is
unchecked; this indeed seems to be a bug. The workaround is to check
that option, and everything should work as expected -- at least it does
for me.

Yes -- you're right -- this solves it. Thanks!

Thanks also for the keystroke for copyright. That works. :-)

jamie faunt