Jürgen Spitzmüller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Paul A. Rubin wrote:
> > Apparently, as of a recent version, LyX loads mathptmx automatically if
> > you select Times Roman as your Roman font.  Since mathptmx has no bold
> > symbols, I can see this being a problem, and I'm surprised it was done.
> >   In the short term, the workarounds are either to switch your font to
> > something else or to export to LaTeX, manually edit out the
> > \usepackage{mathptmx} line and then manually compile the document.
> >
> > Perhaps a developer can address why the change was made?
>
> Short answer:
> http://tug.ctan.org/get/info/l2tabu/english/l2tabuen.pdf
> (sec. 2.3.1)

But as Paul has pointed out mathptmx has no bold symbols. Therefore lyx has to
load something to the preamble in the case math boldsymbols are required. Either
a \usepackage{bm} together with \usepackage{mathptmx} are added or only
\usepackage{bm} is loaded. Please note that the first solution produces math
boldsymbols with poor quality while the second uses Computer Modern fonts.

Best regards