Bruce Pourciau wrote:

If you don't _have_ to use Times, why not choose Palatino? It is a beautiful face, unlike Times. I'm happy as a clam -- boldface and all -- with \usepackage[osf]{mathpazo} in the preamble.

How well does that work with PDF files?

One reason I use Times/Helvetica/Courier (the obsolete packages document notwithstanding) is that they are Adobe-native fonts. They may not be the most aesthetically pleasing (I have no eye for typefaces in any case), but they work pretty reliably with PDF files, and almost everything I generate ends up in PDF files. Assuming I'm using Times, if I have to choose between a close match between the math and text fonts or having bold symbols, I'll typically take the bold symbols. I don't produce books, and for pretty much everything else Times without mathptmx seems good enough to me.

On the other hand, I recognize that there are folks who will want mathptmx when they use Times, and won't need bold symbols. It would be nice if there were a way in the document settings to select/deselect mathptmx, though.

/Paul