On Mon, Mar 03, 2008, Paul A. Rubin wrote:

> Assuming I'm using Times, if I have to choose between a close match
> between the math and text fonts or having bold symbols, I'll typically
> take the bold symbols.

I think the choice is between a good match between math and text, but
(somewhat) inferior bold Greek letters and other math symbols (bold
Roman letters are fine),

versus

a poorer match between math and text, with (somewhat) better quality bold
Greek letters and math symbols.

As has been pointed out, the mathpazo package doesn't have this problem, but I
find that its distinction between bold and non-bold Greek letters is too
subtle for my aging eyes.  Using the mathptmx and bm packages makes a bigger
distinction here, and also uses the Adobe symbol font, which is (to me) more
pleasing and is less likely to lead to font problems in PDF files.

Of course, there is no "right" or "wrong" answer here.  A lot depends on how
heavily one uses bold math constructs, and what "looks good"!

...dave case