On Sat, Mar 8, 2008 at 8:50 AM, Phillip Ferguson <
[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I am using the altwindows installer.

Ok, this means Windoz$ XP with MiKTeX I presume.

> It has now boiled down to a layout file. At this point in time there is a
> document class unavailable to use.

I'm not following. What document class is unavailable I thought all you
needed was article.cls?

> I have the orginal spconf.sty, and the layout file which is a derivative
> of
> the article class.
>
> What I needs is the spconf package, where can I get it?

The spconf.sty file is the package. Now, to install it all you have to do is
place it a under a latex folder that is recognized by MiKTeX.

I think the best way to do this is to create your own folder hierarchy so
that when/if MiKTeX is removed or updated you don't lose your custom
packages or bib styles.

I've created folders under:
 C:\Documents and Settings\username\texmf\tex\latex
 C:\Documents and Settings\username\texmf\tex\bibtex\bib
 C:\Documents and Settings\username\texmf\tex\bibtex\bst

Then in the MiKTeX settings I added a Root path to  C:\Documents and
Settings\username\texmf and then I would put your spconf.sty under the latex
folder that you just created.

After this is done you will need to refresh the database. Which is done
under MiKTeX settings 'Refresh FNDB' or by entering 'texhash' in a command
prompt.

You may or may not have to reconfigure LyX after all of this, but once it's
working you can put \usepackage{spconf} in the preamble and all will be
right with the world.

You can also check to see if LyX has found your spconf.sty by looking under
Tools->TeX Information and selecting LaTeX styles and looking for it. If
it's there you're good to go, if it's not then you can 'Rescan' and see if
it pops up, if not then reconfigure LyX.

Cheers,
/Bob