Phillip Ferguson wrote:

It has now boiled down to a layout file. At this point in time there is a
document class unavailable to use.

I have the orginal spconf.sty, and the layout file which is a derivative of
the article class.

What I needs is the spconf package, where can I get it?

Like Bob, I got a bit lost here. Assuming you are just going to use this package to submit to this one conference (and not use it on a regular basis), you really don't need a layout file at all. Since I'm not sure what you've done to date, I'll rewind to the beginning and show one way to get it in production.

1. Open the MiKTeX Settings application, click on the Roots tab, and find the path to the directory described as "UserConfig". If you left-click it and hover over it, you'll see the full path. Leave this application open, you'll need it again.

2. Find that directory in Windows Explorer and drill down to <UserConfig>\tex\latex (which should already be there). Unzip fpl08.zip there, which should create a subfolder named fpl08.

3. Return to the MiKTeX Settings application, click on the General tab, and click Refresh FNDB. Sit back and watch your hard drive spin. When that's done, you can click either Ok or Cancel and exit the application.

4. [Optional] You might want to create a shortcut someplace to the <UserConfig>\tex\latex\fpl08 folder. Alternatively, you might want to copy the two .bib files and .eps file to a more convenient folder (i.e., one buried less deeply in the rubble).

5. Paste the attached LyX file into whatever directory has the .eps and .bib files. This is basically the sample proceedings document (which contains formatting instructions) converted to LyX. I put in the bare minimum formatting (page size, margins, Times Roman 10 pt. as the base font), but you may need to do more fiddling to pacify the conference gods. Also, I trimmed out some of the less informative comments and put the others in bright yellow LyX Notes. The author, affiliation and acknowledgment stuff is in the preamble (Document -> Settings... -> LaTeX Preamble), which you'll need to edit in your own documents unless you want someone else to take the blame. :-)

6. Open fpl08.lyx in LyX either by double-clicking the file icon or using File -> Open. Try View -> DVI to make sure things work correctly.

7. To create a new proceedings, just do File -> Save As to create a new copy (with a different name, obviously), and then hack out the current contents and insert your own. (You can open the original with File -> New from Template as an insurance policy against overwriting it.)

Hope this helps,
Paul