William R. Buckley wrote:

I have searched, including by means of the automated tool applet supplied
with Windows, and not been able to find any reference to LOCALTEXMF
under any condition of case sensitivity.  When I look under the Roots tab
of the MiKTeX settings application, I find just four directories mentioned:

user config:  \Documents and Settings\wrb\Application Data\MiKTeX2.7
             directory does not actually exist
user data:    \Documents and Settings\wrb\Local Settings\Application
Data\MiKTeX2.7    \miktex\config\FNDB files
common:     \Documents and Settings\AllUsers.WINXP\Application Data\MiKTeX2.7
    various sub-directories
install:         \Program Files\MiKTeX2.7

The directory labeled "user config" (the one you say does not exist) is what would ordinarily be your localtexmf directory. (The TeX system has some conventions about how directories ought to be named, and I think that's the origin of "localtexmf". I suspect those conventions are frequently honored in the breach as it were.) From the "common" entry, I suspect that MiKTeX was installed for "all user" rather than for just the "wrb" login. If the various subdirectories under the common directory include ...\tex\latex, you can use this as your localtexmf and install under that directory. Again, the only difference between installing there v. installing under \Program Files\MiKTeX2.7\tex\latex is that the former protects you against loss of the class if you delete and reinstall (or upgrade) MiKTeX.

I'm a bit late returning to this thread, but I gather from Bob nad Richard's posts that you're within a reconfiguration of getting something working (hopefully).

/Paul