On Sat, Mar 15, 2008 at 4:28 PM, Paul A. Rubin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> William R. Buckley wrote:
>
>  >
>  > I have searched, including by means of the automated tool applet supplied
>  > with Windows, and not been able to find any reference to LOCALTEXMF
>  > under any condition of case sensitivity.  When I look under the Roots tab
>  > of the MiKTeX settings application, I find just four directories mentioned:
>  >
>  > user config:  \Documents and Settings\wrb\Application Data\MiKTeX2.7
>                   directory does not actually exist
>  > user data:    \Documents and Settings\wrb\Local Settings\Application
> Data\MiKTeX2.7    \miktex\config\FNDB files
>  > common:     \Documents and Settings\AllUsers.WINXP\Application
> Data\MiKTeX2.7       various sub-directories
>  > install:         \Program Files\MiKTeX2.7
>  >

>  The directory labeled "user config" (the one you say does not exist) is
>  what would ordinarily be your localtexmf directory.  (The TeX system has
>  some conventions about how directories ought to be named, and I think
>  that's the origin of "localtexmf".  I suspect those conventions are
>  frequently honored in the breach as it were.)  From the "common" entry,
>  I suspect that MiKTeX was installed for "all user" rather than for just
>  the "wrb" login.  If the various subdirectories under the common
>  directory include ...\tex\latex, you can use this as your localtexmf and
>  install under that directory.  Again, the only difference between
>  installing there v. installing under \Program Files\MiKTeX2.7\tex\latex
>  is that the former protects you against loss of the class if you delete
>  and reinstall (or upgrade) MiKTeX.
>
>  I'm a bit late returning to this thread, but I gather from Bob nad
>  Richard's posts that you're within a reconfiguration of getting
>  something working (hopefully).
>
>  /Paul

Paul,

So selecting to install 'for all users' doesn't create the userconfig
file structure in a user account, but 'for me only' does? Even in my
'all users' commonconfig folder there is no 'latex' folder, only a
'tex' folder. Easy enough to create though.

I also installed 'for all users' and so the userconfig structure was
not created for my account. Although I prefer to create my own texmf
hierarchy, as I'm sure you've read in this or other posts :-}. So, I
know nothing will happen to my files.

It's funny that you say that the userconfig or commonconfig directory
is 'safe' because if you mouse over these Root directories in the
MiKTeX settings is says something like, "... this directory is
maintained by MiKTeX and should not be used to store your own files as
they could be lost in an upgrade ..." . Have you ever experimented
with installing files to userconfig and uninstalling MiKTeX to see if
the files are removed or not? To verify that these files are 'safe' in
the directory. Just wondering as I never have and the MiKTeX warning
scared me away from storing my files there :-}.

Cheers,
/Bob