I am trying to write a textbook layout file (current version is attached) that will let me set a "switch" in the preamble of my LyX file so that I can easily generate both a teacher's version (with solutions) and a student version (without homework solutions).

What I've attempted to do is to put the command

\def\notestype{teacher}

in the Document -> Settings -> LaTeX preamble

window of LyX.  However, this seems to be loaded after the layout preamble is set.   Is there a way for me to have at least a part of the layout preamble processed after the Documents -> Settings preamble?  If I can do this, then I will be able to work within LyX rather than LaTeX, which I would like to do.