On Sun, 19 Oct 2008 06:44:01 +0100
Anthony Campbell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On 18 Oct 2008, Jonathan Kroner wrote:
> > Does Booksurge accept a Lyx generated pdf, or must it be further
> > processed through acrobat?
> >
> >  1.   If you have self published through Booksurge, please answer
> > whether Booksurge accepts LyX generated pdfs.
> >
> > I will soon be self-publishing a book, preferably through Booksurge.
> > Booksurge accepts PDF files, but only if they meet Booksurge
> > specifications. However, they do not explain their specifications.
> > Instead, they only explain the steps to save/print the PDF from
> > various versions of adobe acrobat.
> >
> > In order to find out whether my pdf will meet their requirements
> > they require full payment of their up-front fee. They will not
> > provide any additional assistance in determining whether a LyX pdf
> > meets their requirements.
> >

> > 2.   Most of their specifications do not apply to me since this
> > will be a black-and-white, no images, text only book. But one area
> > is of more concern. They instruct:
> >  *"Under the fonts tab*
> > **
> > *     Deselect the "subset embedded fonts" option.*
> > **
> > *     Select ALL of the fonts under Font Source and add them to
> > Always Embed."*
> >
> > These instructions are found here for acrobat version 8
> >  http://www.booksurgepages.com/Downloads/TwoStepstoPDFv8.pdf
> >
> >  In my Lyx generated PDF document under "Properties" the "Fonts"
> > tab shows a long list of fonts and following each font is
> > written:    "(embedded subset)   type 1, encoding: custom."
> >
> > Booksurge claims they could not answer whether "(embedded subset)
> > type 1, encoding: custom"  meets their requirements.  Any opinions?
> >
> > Thank you
> >  Jonathan Kroner
> >  LyX 1.6.0rc3, pdflatex, Windows Vista home premium
> >

> I don't know about Booksurge but here are a few thoughts.
>
> 1. If you publish via Lulu there is no upfront fee. You only pay for
> proof copies you order.
>
> 2. Lulu has the same requirement for Adobe-created pdf but, in
> practice, the Lyx version created with ps2pdf seems to work without
> problems.
>
> 3. For Lulu, I generally upload the file as ps, and Lulu then convert
> it themselves. I don't know whether Booksurge accepts ps. (Actually,
> Lulu doesn't list ps as a possibility in their FAQ but you can use
> it.)
>
> 5. Moral of the story: have a look at Lulu before paying money upfront
> to Booksurge. It might be worth searching the forums at Lulu for
> opinions by people who have tried both.
>
> Hope this is some use,
>
> Anthony

I tend to agree with this. I have used LyX to publish two books through
Lulu. I went straight to pdflatex and had no problem at all. One of the
books was a cookbook with a lot of scanned hand drawings that required
LyX to use a lot of boxes. Both used LyX 1.4.something on Debian Etch.

As Anthony says, you can avoid pdf glitches by letting them convert a
ps file.

I had the impression that all these outfits used the same printing
facilities, but I can't verify that.

There are Lulu forum entries that compare different DIY publishing
possibilities. I never found them too helpful, but that may because I
never had the stamina to read to the end of the very, very long
threads.

Alan