> From: rgheck <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Subject: [Fwd: Re: Word processor bashing]
> To: "lyx-users" <lyx-users@lists.lyx.org>
>I know a lot of
> people who use Word, etc, and I don't know a single
> person who regularly uses styles.

I suspect that some do but in the documents I get, Styles use seems rare. It
may be increasing with the new Word2007 toolbar layout.

I still see a lot of this type of thing.
http://ca.geocities.com/jrkrideau/images/cvpic.jpg

This is from an academic CV of a fairly sucessful professor who in 8-12 years
in academic as student and prof has never learned to use even basic styles, or
any other reasonable formatting techniques.

> Speaking as a teacher, I often worry that my
> students are themselves much too worried about formatting
> even while they are writing first drafts, and this is in
> large part because WYSIWYG tools present writing and
> formatting as one thing and not as two.

I think you're right and not just for students.  Some Word documents I see from
businesses and government are incredible Rube Goldberg documents that look very
good but are impossible to modify.

> For what it's worth, I do use OpenOffice Writer for
> some things, but these are mostly DTP type applications,
> such as a church bulletin or a news letter, and I'd
> probably be better off using Scribus (say) if I only I
> weren't too lazy to learn how to use it.

Most OOo users would agree :) It's not a DTP tool.

I use OOo all the time and once you have your own style templates set up it is
pretty good and even handles large documents quite well but  it does not
compare to LyX for really professinal output.

For me, a strange but very handy use of LyX is to convert very badly laid-out
working documents from Word to something in an article format. It immediately
is several hundred percent more readable. Unless I have to redo some equations
(not all that common in the papers I am coverting) I can get a nice clean
readable paper in 15-30 minutes and can usually save a couple of hours of
frustration that I would spend trying to read a poorly formatted document.
Quarter inch margins are such fun!

favourite sites. Download it now at
http://ca.toolbar.yahoo.com.