On Mon, 2008-11-17 at 17:56 +0000, Graham Smith wrote:
> Has anyone installed 1.6 on Ubuntu 8.04?  Its available for Jaunty (as
> pointed out elsewhere on this forum), but not sure of the risks that may
> be involved.

Yes I did successfully install 1.6 from source. I just follow from this
thread
http://www.mail-archive.com/lyx-users@lists.lyx.org/msg65444.html

> I currently have 1.5.5 installed via the Ubuntu repository, should I
> uninstall this before installing 1.6, or is it a bad idea to install 1.6
> before its officially available for 8.04.

No i did not uninstall the version 1.5.5 as I am still using it for a
reason. It works parallel with version 1.6

I use the following commands after downloading the source 1.6
./configure --with-version-suffix=-1.6.0
make
sudo make install