Paul,

Thanks, but I have a a question below.

Don't know about 8.04, but I installed LyX 1.6.0-1 on Ubuntu 8.10 (Intrepid), and so far so good (in limited use). Rather than building it myself, I installed a couple of .deb archives. The steps are:

1. Go to http://www.debian.org/mirror/list and pick a secondary mirror "near" you.

2. In Ubuntu, go to System -> Administration -> Software Sources -> Third-Party Software, click Add, and add the mirror you chose. The entry line will look like 'deb http://ftp.someserver.somedomain sid main'.

Will this result in all packages being updated through the deb repository rather than the Ubuntu repository?

Or does the "sid" bit restrict it to the Lyx files.

You also talk about adding a "couple" of repositories. but only list one. Or, by a couple do you mean lyx and lyx-common ?

Sorry for basic questions :-(

Graham