Graham Smith wrote:
Paul,

Thanks, but I have a a question below.

Don't know about 8.04, but I installed LyX 1.6.0-1 on Ubuntu 8.10 (Intrepid), and so far so good (in limited use). Rather than building it myself, I installed a couple of .deb archives. The steps are:

1. Go to http://www.debian.org/mirror/list and pick a secondary mirror "near" you.

2. In Ubuntu, go to System -> Administration -> Software Sources -> Third-Party Software, click Add, and add the mirror you chose. The entry line will look like 'deb http://ftp.someserver.somedomain sid main'.

Will this result in all packages being updated through the deb repository rather than the Ubuntu repository?

Or does the "sid" bit restrict it to the Lyx files.

No, SID doesn't restrict it to LyX, and you're right in not wanting to update other stuff from there. The trick is to enable the Debian SID repository (it will automatically be enabled when you first enter it), use Synaptic to install LyX (ignoring any messages to the effect that you have updates for 2,387 packages available), then go back into Sources (or Settings -> Repositories from within Synaptic) and disable the mirror (but leave it defined, in case you need it again). If the "you have updates" bug is still displaying, use the Reload button in Synaptic to refresh the package list.

When I did this, Ubuntu did indeed think it found updates in the Debian mirror, but as long as you don't install them, no harm done.

You also talk about adding a "couple" of repositories. but only list one. Or, by a couple do you mean lyx and lyx-common ?

Can I just answer 'yes'? :-) There are two packages, lyx and lyx-common. I happen to have two Debian SID mirrors set up; I first tried the one on my campus, but I got an error message about a missing public certificate (which I get again today), so I tried a second one. I don't remember which one I installed from, but I think the installation works even with the missing certificate glitch.

Sorry for basic questions :-(

Not to worry.  I'm still finding my way around Ubuntu myself.

And thanks to the kind folks who put together the .debs and added them to the repository.

/Paul