On Sat, Dec 20, 2008 at 5:30 PM, Steve Litt <sl...@troubleshooters.com> wrote:
> Today for the first time I was able to incorporate an SVG image into a LyX
> drawing. I'm using LyX 1.5.6. Developers -- thank you so much!

How did you do that? I tried it a while ago, and I ran into a number
of problems (inkscape SVG is not standard SVG, inkscape export has
difficulties with the margins, inkscape ePDF export did not work etc).
In the end I found it easier to export EPS files from inkscape, and
include those. It should be possible to automate that process using a
conversion script, so that you can include SVG files directly, but
that did not work well enough for me.

> I'm using Inkscape drawings. It appears that the first Inkscape drawing I
> insert adds 50K to 70K. The next one adds about 15K, so it looks like over
> the course of the book it will be fairly efficient. Does this agree with
> LyX's design criteria for SVG files?

I guess that depends mostly on the complexity of your drawings. LaTeX
preserves the vector nature of SVG (both in Postscript and in PDF
output), so for normal drawings the file size should be pretty small.
But I also have one drawing (a scatter plot with 1000 graphs) that was
huge as a vector file, and I could reduce the size a lot by converting
it into a pixel graphic (PNG).

Regards,
Thomas