On Friday 26 December 2008 06:35:11 am bb wrote:
> I tried lyx after some long time again found lyx on an up to date level
> compared to former versions - thanks to the developers!
>
> Something that did not following common logik in the past and actually
> as well is the handling of whitespace always following any punctuation
> mark like   .,;:--?!]}) etc. You easily can miss it and lyx does not
> care about.
>
> I think, that under all normal circumstances any punctuation mark MUST
> be followed by a whitespace and I think it would be a good idea to let
> that check and make lyx if one forgets it. Such an intelligent feature
> is comparable to the deletion of more than one whitespaces between two
> words, where lyx takes care and a correction.
>
> There are some cases where a point will not be followed by whitespace,
> for instance the point operator in Java that separates objectnames from
> methods and may be there are some more. So, anyway it should be possible
> to eliminate whitespaces for special purposes. But the default should be
> a single whitepace following any punctuation mark.
>
> I actually downloaded the source of lyx, but as I am not familiar with
> the source I do not believe that I can find the point of entry for such
> a change to experiment with. May be there is someone more skilled than I
> am and interested to give such a feature a try?

Hi bitu,

If you do this, please, please PLEASE make it a config option so I can turn it
off. In my tech writing, I have filenames all over the place and every one of
them has a dot. I have other punctuation intentionally not surrounded by
space, including things like rule #434 and $19.95.

Try to write an algorithm to figure what to do with the following without a
grammar checker:

"Edit first.do all sanity checks are fair game."

The other thing is that for me, this solves a non existant problem, because my
thumbs are muscle memory trained to hit the spacebar after period, comma,
colon, or semicolon. For a touch typist trained to use not just LyX but many
other products, the fastest way to work is just to type the right thing,
rather than enable things like word completion or other "smart" features.
LyX's multiple spaces are an exception because double spaces are an easy
error to make, and inserting multiple spaces when you want is so easy.

In summary, there are probably many like me, so please make this feature
on/off configurable from LyX's menu system.

Thanks

SteveT

Steve Litt
Recession Relief Package