On Friday 2008-12-26 12:35, bb wrote:

> I think, that under all normal circumstances any punctuation mark MUST
> be followed by a whitespace and I think it would be a good idea to let
> that check

But there should be no whitespace in, e.g., "e.g." and abbreviations
like T.L.A.P.D. (knowingly that they are often written as TLAPD anyway).

No, I think the user needs to take care of it because no program
can automatically decide whether it is T.L.A.P.D. or T. L. A. P. D.

> and make lyx if one forgets it. Such an intelligent feature is
> comparable to the deletion of more than one whitespaces between two words,
> where lyx takes care and a correction.
>
> There are some cases where a point will not be followed by whitespace,
> for instance the point operator in Java that separates objectnames from
> methods and may be there are some more. So, anyway it should be possible to
> eliminate whitespaces for special purposes. But the default should be a single
> whitepace following any punctuation mark.

So what prevents you from hitting the spacebar every once in a while?