Dear listmembers,
in the meantime I created some icons for my purpose and have been putting them
in the  directory /usr/share/lyx/images.

From the stdtoolbars.inc file I know (theoretically) that the naming
convention for the files ought to be

<action>_<parameter>.png

following this strategy based on i.e.
"Align left" "paragraph-params \align left"

I would follow that <action> is "paragraph-params" and <parameter> is "\align
left".

So the filename ought to be

"paragraph-params_\align left.png"

which I can create. However, the debug mode (I tried -dbg 8 and "full" dbg,
what is nonsense in this case) tells me:

GuiApplication.cpp(347): Cannot find icon for command "paragraph-params(\align
left)"

but it unfortunately does not tell me the name of the game i. e. the actual
filename it is heading for. I have been playing around with the names,
modifiying to many versions, however, the only thing that actually works is

paragraph_params.png

but that would consequently assign the very same icon to all the four
variants of the command, because it references the action only but not the
parameter, what is not what I would require. My c++ knowledge is not
sufficient to parse the source-code in this regard, so any help for me again?
IMHO it would be a "help to help yourself" if the debug message would be
clearer and add the name of the game to the output-message, too.

Well, and re-reading Vincent's email shows clearly that as "\" is not allowed
in a filename my concept cannot work in this way.

Thank you very much,
take care

Dieter Jurzitza

                                \

if you really want to see the pictures above - use some font
with constant spacing like courier! :-)