On 2009-05-21, Steve Litt wrote:

Is PDF the best graphic format for LyX?

No. As usual it depends...

> Is it my imagination, or do things go MUCH better when graphics
> included in a LyX diagram are PDFs?

I found that I can convert easily forth and back between EPS and PDF
and from SVG to either of the two without loss of quality in most cases.

An exception are graphics with transparency, as EPS does not support an
alpha channel and has to use "faked transparency".

> Is this a placebo effect, or do PDFs really work much, much better as
> LyX doc graphics?

If your output format is PDF only (I often use PS), having the included
files in this format too saves the trouble of dealing with the
converters. OTOH, for me it is in most cases easier to insert inkscape
made graphics as SVG, so I can edit them easily and don't have 2 files
lying around.

Günter