On Thursday 21 May 2009, Steve Litt wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Is it my imagination, or do things go MUCH better when graphics included in
> a LyX diagram are PDFs? That's what I've found. I've found them infinitely
> and continuously scalable, and if I create the PDF with "embed fonts", I
> think they work anywhere.
>
> I'm so old I remember the days when LyX seemed to work reliably only
> with .eps. THen it could work with .png/.jpg/.gif. But nowadays my personal
> experience is that PDF images inside the doc work much better than any of
> those other formats ever did. Is this a placebo effect, or do PDFs really
> work much, much better as LyX doc graphics?

Steve,

In general, I try to use PDF whenever the graphical material is mainly lines
and text. For solid colors it probably works the best too. But for
gradational shading I usually use PNG.  The problem with PNG is if you make
the resolution high enough to retain really sharp edges, the file size
becomes very large.

I also use JPEG for photographs: PNG works fine too, but the files are larger.

--
Les