Hi!

I would like to share my experience with solving very frustrating problem with
typing in lyx 1.6.x under Ubuntu 9.04. Maybe this will help someone else or
even lead to a fix in a next lyx version.

Recently I've upgraded to Ubuntu 9.04. After that, I could not continue my work
in lyx 1.6.2. When typing, I experienced a very large delay (like seconds)
before all symbols would appear on screen.

I read through all posts in lyx mailing list with similar symptoms (just 2 or
3). The only solution there that worked was to buy a new video card.

What I've done next:

1) Installed lyx 1.6.0 - the same typing delay. Installed lyx 1.5.7 - no typing
delays. Returned back to lyx 1.6.2.

2) Looked at the CPU utilization. When typing, Xorg ate up to 50% CPU.
Then I resized lyx window to be smaller. CPU utilization fall down, and typing
delay decreased. I resized lyx to be 25% of the screen - typing delay almost
disappeared.

3) I looked which video card I have (lspci |grep Display) - Intel Corporation
82945G/GZ Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 02)
I googled for problems with Intel graphics under Ubuntu 9, and found this link
useful:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1130582&highlight=ubuntu+slow+update
+jaunty

4) I tried different solutions from the link above and mostly got my X broken
or no effect. Finally this one worked for me:

- open xorg.conf (sudo gedit /etc/X11/xorg.conf)
- go to section "Device", mine was
Section "Device"
        Identifier      "Configured Video Device"
EndSection
- add Option "MigrationHeuristic" "greedy" so the section looks now like this
Section "Device"
        Identifier      "Configured Video Device"
        Option          "MigrationHeuristic"            "greedy"
EndSection
- restart X or reboot.

Now I have almost no typing delays in lyx 1.6.2 (at least, typing speed is the
same as in lyx 1.5.7 on my PC).