On 2009-11-11, Pavel Sanda wrote:
> Guenter Milde wrote:
>> Suggestion:
>>   Would it be possible, to pre-select Latin Modern in the standard template?

>>   LM is out for some time by now and could be considered the "de-facto
>>   standard" for T1-encoded CM-lookalikes.

> unfortunately this is much more complex thing than it looks on the
> first sight.

http://www.mail-archive.com/lyx-de...@lists.lyx.org/msg142386.html

Let me try to defuse some objections from the discussion 1 1/2 years ago:

"LM are [...] not by default included in all LaTeX distributions, for
 example not in MiKTeX."

1. This would indeed be a problem, but is this still true today?

2. The Debian LyX package could recommend the "lmodern" package.

   The Windows-Installer could recommend loading at least the T1 encoded
   LM fonts.

"LM are included in basic versions of TeXLive and MiKTeX, but the problem
is that we still have teTeX users where LM is not included."

A. I argue that teTeX users are by now a minority that can be expected to
   change a setting that suits most users of up-to-date LaTeX
   installations.

"there's no reason to force users to use a certain font and not the LaTeX
 default one."

1. There is a reason:

   * LyX does not use the default TeX font encoding (OT1) but
     the T1 encoding (for sensible reasons).

   * In this encoding, the TeX default fonts (CM) are only available as
     bitmaps.

2. We do not force users to use a certain font but set a working
   font-encoding/font combination as initial default.

   My suggestion is *not* to change the meaning of [Default] but to set
   [Latin Modern] in the standard *template*. This is easily reversed by
   the user:
     * Make a document
     * use the menu Document->Settings->Fonts
     * Set the Roman font, Sans serif font and Typewriter font to "Default".
     * Use the button "Save as Document Defaults".

"Why do you think we should especially use LM and not TeXGyre or one of
 the various other beautiful fonts?"

1. Principle of minimal change/surprise:
   We'll let the pre-set font *look like* the default one.

2. As CM lookalike, LM works best with the various extensions/symbols
   created for CM. Hence LM has the best available math support.

3. "If you want a font, select one and then it's up to you how the result
   looks and you are aware of that selecting a different font leads to a
   different output."

"LM and CM differs also in shapes, a good example is the German sharp s
"ß" character."

1. These changes are still minor in comparision to selecting a completely
   different font, so they do not impede the compatibility with other
   fonts designed to work with CM.

2. Opinions differ, but for me the Geman sharp s 'ß' (the es-zet) is an
   example for the "Internationality" of the LM fonts. The LM ß is the
   version recommended in German typesetting ("Sulzbacher Form"), while
   the CM ß is a ligature of ſ (long s) and s.

"I don't think that they should be set as default. When you create a
 new document, the corresponding latex file should ideally be

  \documentclass{article}
  \begin{document}
  \end{document}
"

A. In this case, you would need to turn off hyperref anyway.
   Just reset the fonts to [Default], too.

"you could choose to load your own font package in order to substitute
 standard fonts with something else. So, if we load, without you knowing
 it, the lmodern package, a clash could arise"

A. You will see [Latin Modern] in the font selection GUI. Just reset the
   to [Default].

"lmodern is about 12 MB to download and we got complaints that I we even
check if this font is installed as this could lead to a package download,
but not everybody has a flatrate "

A. Without flatrate, you should not set up non-interactive package download.

"> This one's easy to argue against. First of all, LyX is a 24MB download
 > (For Mac.)

 36 instead of 24 MB is 50% extra, and this only for a font.
"

A. LM is ~ 50 % of LyX, but less than 50 % of LyX + (LaTeX - LM).

Günter