I had a further play around with it.  I added:
;C:\Program Files\Maxima-5.16.3\bin;C:\Octave\3.2.3_gcc-4.4.0\bin
to the PATH prefix in the Preferences, and then restarted LyX.

Now when I type
4+5
in a math field and then use Edit->Math->CAS->Octave or ->Maxima it
calculates the answer and sets the field to 4+5=9.

And if I enter
$\int_{0}^{1}x^{2}dx$
maxima will return the answer 1/3.

That's a fantastic new discovery of a further LyX feature.  As for
making it more useful, perhaps LyX needs some buttons in the math
toolbar for Octave or Maxima or a way of customizing some new buttons
to run the Edit->Math->CAS options.