Murat Yildizoglu wrote:
Thanks a lot Olivier, this works perfectly for Maxima.
 I can ask it to compute \frac{\partial x^{2}}{\partial x}=2\, x and
it works as it is shown by the = sign but how to ask more indirect
tasks?

Question: How to pass commands to Maxima? Should we write full Maxima
expressions, instead of the standard math notation? In SWP there is a
Computation menu where it is possible to choose the operation that we
desire (simplify, evaluate, etc.).

I think Lyx should stay with the math notation it has. Users should not
need to write differently depending on whether they use maxima or some
other math package.

LyX should handle the conversion into something maxima/octace/whatever
can understand.

Of course the math menu in LyX can be extended. If different menus
for simplify, evaluate etc. is useful, then it can be made.

Someone interested has to do the work though.

Helge Hafting