On 2010-01-06, Helge Hafting wrote:
> Murat Yildizoglu wrote:
>> Thanks a lot Olivier, this works perfectly for Maxima.
>>  I can ask it to compute \frac{\partial x^{2}}{\partial x}=2\, x and
>> it works as it is shown by the = sign but how to ask more indirect
>> tasks?

>> Question: How to pass commands to Maxima? Should we write full Maxima
>> expressions, instead of the standard math notation? In SWP there is a
>> Computation menu where it is possible to choose the operation that we
>> desire (simplify, evaluate, etc.).

> I think Lyx should stay with the math notation it has. Users should not
> need to write differently depending on whether they use maxima or some
> other math package.

> LyX should handle the conversion into something maxima/octace/whatever
> can understand.

> Of course the math menu in LyX can be extended. If different menus
> for simplify, evaluate etc. is useful, then it can be made.

The problem here is, that LaTeX only knows/needs "presentational" math
commands. A large part of the CAS syntax has no meaning in "pure" math.

Hence it does not make sense to extend "LaTeX math" for CAS.

Proposals (first draw):

* for code from a file, use the external material inset,

  Create a CAS template replacing Maxima/Octave/swiginac input with the LaTeX
  output in a math-editor box.

* a "CAS-inset" for the math editor with configurable accepting CAS
  commands in a configurable language.

Günter