Am 16.02.2010 16:22, schrieb lia chatzidiakou:

I have installed Lyx 1.6  in Windows XP, and everything works fine
apart from check speller.
I have aspell 0-50-3-3 installed and on that the English package, in C
directory as suggested. Initially it was installed in Program Files
too and moved it from there.

Ypu don't need to install Aspell manually - the LyX-installers do this for you.
I suppose you are only suffering from a misconfiguration. To fix thias

1. uninstall the Aspell dictionaries
2. uninstall Asepll
3. uninstall LyX _completely_
4. open an Internet connection
5. reinstall LyX using the small version of this installer
http://wiki.lyx.org/Windows/LyXWinInstaller

This will reinstall Aspell and its dictionaries and also take care of the configuration.

In tools preferences , Language I have English USA which is the
default. In Spellchecker, aspell library is chosen by default but it
is grey. (cannot change it)

This is correct, because LyX on Windows only supports Aspell as spell checker.

regards Uwe