On 2010-03-23, Wolfgang Engelmann wrote:
> Considering the amount of time I had to spend in documents which did not run
> through LyX smoothly it had to do with references containing some characters
> which bothered the program. I realize that this is not Lyx's fault, but it
> would be nice to have a feature (or an external prg) checking for those
> characters.

A generic error reporting for all programs called by LyX would be a great
help indeed.

For the "Unicode in bibtex database problem", the solution might be to
use a unicode aware processor, e.g.

         * CrossTeX_, a backwards-compatible, improved bibtex
           re-implementation in Python (including HTML export).
           (development stalled since 2 years)

         * Pybtex_,a drop-in replacement for BibTeX written in Python.

           * BibTeX styles & (experimental) pythonic style API.
           * Database in BibTeX, BibTeXML and YAML formats.
           * full Unicode support.
           * Write to TeX, HTML and plain text.

.. _CrossTeX: http://www.cs.cornell.edu/people/egs/crosstex/
.. _Pybtex:   http://pybtex.sourceforge.net/