Hi Kevin, Jose et al,

We use version control (git) + to write papers in the lab.  It works fine
but handling merge conflicts is still difficult; the chaps in the lab are
all very computer literate but I regularly have to help out with a broken
merge. It's certainly too complicated for me to insist on with external
collaborators. For them I initially suggested LyX + track changes. However
LyX's track changes plays very poorly with VCS in LyX 1.6.X and this is only
partly solved in 2.0.

The beauty of real time editing is that it handles merge conflicts in a way
that is easy to understand and really pretty transparent.  Of course for it
to be transparent, there has to be a clear way to see who (and ideally when)
last edited any piece of text.  For my group and colleagues beyond the lab,
collaborative editing (a la SubEthaEdit) would be the killer feature that
would really expand the audience for LyX.  I hope that at some point this
will resonate with one of the developers with the skills to implement this
kind of feature.

Best,

Greg.

--