2010/9/24 Gregory Jefferis <jeffe...@gmail.com>:
> Non-interactive collaborative editing means that there can always be one
> live version of a document to which anyone can apply changes that are
> versioned, identified and much more likely.  Essentially it solves the
> conflicting merge problem by automatically merging all the time so that you
> are always looking at the latest version (and can be alerted to recent
> changes).  You can try and do this with traditional version control
> arrangements but you will always run into a conflict if the system isn't
> designed for the possibility of interactive collaborative editing.

And this is the reason why most users love Google Docs and will never
use git (even though as we all know, merging with git is Fun and
Easy).

I think the ideal situation would look like Gobby[1] running inside
LyX (not necessarily with chat features, but at least showing where
the other user is editing), but I can understand how that would be a
lot of work to implement. Sponsorship project? ;-)

-Kevin

[1] http://gobby.0x539.de