On 2010-11-09, Rob Oakes wrote:

>> gonna thrash me is fonts. Unless I'm mistaken, fonts other than the =
> ones=20
>> packaged with your LaTeX are incredibly difficult to do in =
> LyX/LaTeX/TeX.

Well, there are some more TeX-ready fonts then the ones that come
packed with TeXLive or MikeTeX (also commercial ones). But for the
"arbitrary system font", the better option is LuaTeX or XeTeX.

> I would specifically focus on XeTeX.  XeTeX in particular, as it uses =
> system fonts, supports OpenType, and is generally awesome.  The newest =
> version (released in TeX Live 2010) even has support for microtypography =
> and margin kerning.

TeXLive 10 now also has a workable version of LuaTeX with even better
microtypography support. But in both cases this is still beta code.
Especially, mikrotype does not work (yet) out-of-the-box with "arbitrary"
fonts.

> Moreover, it's supported by LyX, which means advanced typography
> = for the masses.

There is preliminary XeTeX support in the development version. Not
ready for the masses.

> For long texts, with footnotes, numbered figures, tables, and other =
> miscellanea, the production tool to use is LaTeX.

Agreed.

Also, for most of these texts, there are more than enough quality free
fonts available also for "pure" LaTeX.

Günter