On Tue, Nov 9, 2010 at 2:33 PM, Guenter Milde <mi...@users.berlios.de>wrote:

> On 2010-11-09, Rob Oakes wrote:
>
> > I would specifically focus on XeTeX.  XeTeX in particular, as it uses =
> > system fonts, supports OpenType, and is generally awesome.  The newest =
> > version (released in TeX Live 2010) even has support for microtypography
> =
> > and margin kerning.
>
> TeXLive 10 now also has a workable version of LuaTeX with even better
> microtypography support. But in both cases this is still beta code.
> Especially, mikrotype does not work (yet) out-of-the-box with "arbitrary"
> fonts.

Rob,

do you have any advice or pointers to sites explaining how to use margin
kerning in XeTeX? The notes posted by J Kew on the mailing list and on the
XeTeX wiki are way too cryptic for me.

Also, am I correct in thinking that microtypography's font expansion (which
greatly improves paragraph layout, in my opinion) is still not working in
XeTeX?

Cheers,

Stefano