Hi Stefano,

> do you have any advice or pointers to sites explaining how to use margin
> kerning in XeTeX? The notes posted by J Kew on the mailing list and on the
> XeTeX wiki are way too cryptic for me.

Short answer, yes.  As far as I know, it hasn't yet been discussed much in the
Interwebs, but there are several resources you can find on it.  The place to
probably start is the XeTeX Microtypography website:

http://xetex.tk/mediawiki/index.php/Microtype_package_%28preliminary_version%29

There, you can download the latest version of the microtype package that
enables margin kerning with XeTeX. To get things working correctly, you must
use version 2.5 (or newer) of the package.  If the manual isn't dated
11/5/2010, then you have the wrong one.

The microtype distributed with TeXLive 2010 *will not work.*  (And at the
moment, xetex microtype is pretty limited.  It's only margin kerning.  Font
expansion doesn't work.  Yet.)

After download, process the microtype.ins file with xelatex which will create
the .sty files you need.

xelatex microtype.ins

Copy the entire directory to somewhere in your LaTeX path.  Run texhash.

Once you've installed the newest version of the package, you can enable
microtype support by adding:

\usepackage{microtype}

to your preamble (see the attached sample doc).  While it is possible to tweak
things, it shouldn't be necessary.  In fact, don't. microtype should detect
which version of XeTeX you are using and enable the appropriate options.  The
only time I ran into problems is when I tried to tweak the settings.

After that, put together a simple test document (or use mine).  To see if
things are working correctly, you might want to turn on the showframes option
of geometry.  (Test document also shows how to do this. PDF output also
attached.)

Please keep in mind, you must have XeTeX 0.9997.4 or higher installed for
margin kerning to work.  This version of XeTeX comes with TeX Live 2010.  I've
been playing with it on my Mac, and it's been pretty stable.  As of yet, I have
not looked at how hard it would be to get things up and running on Linux or
Windows.

On another note, in my exuberance yesterday, I might have overstated the
stability of LyX, the new version of XeLaTeX and microtype.  In my personal
experience, it has been very, very stable.   But I should probably include the
requisite disclaimer: your mileage may vary.

If you have any troubles or if something isn't clear, let me know.  I'm off
work this week to try and get the book done and will be watching the list.

Cheers,

Rob

Attached:

1.) Sample LyX document, showing XeTeX microtype features.  Requires TeX Live
2010, beta version of microtype package and beta1 of LyX to compile.
2.) Sample PDF output.