On 08/05/2011 09:29 AM, bart deruyter wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm trying to typeset my novel, that I want to publish soon. I have
> started using lyx because it hides most of the technical stuff, so I
> can concentrate on the writing.
>
> But I'm having quite some trouble to get things looking right, things
> I thought were handled automatically.
>
> First of all, my TOC remains empty. As I understood, I just had to do
> 'Insert -> list/TOC -> Table of contents. I do use the correct
> paragraph types, Part, Chapter, section, subsection etc...  so I
> thought the TOC would be generated automatically when viewing the pdf,
> but it does not.

Do these show up properly under the navigation menu? How about in the
outline?

You might also want to check under Document>Settings>Numbering & TOC.

> Secondly, a novel is rarely printed on A4, and the company I'd like to
> ask to print my book gives a discount on printing on A5 (printing on
> demand service) so I thought changing the document setting page size
> from A4 to A5. This obviously has a big influence on the flow of the
> text. My language is Dutch, and hyphenation is horrible. I do have
> texlive-lang-dutch installed. Also, words that can be split sometimes
> are not, which results in many, many overfull \hbox (from LaTeX Log).
> The margins are not followed.

I'd check the margins, for one thing; the default ones may be too wide
for A5 paper. Also, you may want to reduce the font size. 10 point
should be right.

Hyphenation is entirely a LaTeX issue. Perhaps the hyphenation files for
Dutch just aren't very good. I do not know.

Richard