On 09/03/2011 06:10 PM, Jane Shevtsov wrote:
No, I still get the error message saying formats.ini doesn't exist.
I did a quick search and found a couple of posts (auf Deutsch, so it's a gamble whether I understood them correctly) by someone who experienced the same problem. If my very rusty German served me, reinstalling MiKTeX solved it for him.

Should I uninstall LyX and MiKTeX
No need to uninstally LyX, but yes, I would uninstall MiKTeX.
and then installing an older version of MiKTeX?
No, I would go with a newer version. The current version is 2.9. I'm pretty sure I have that installed on Win 7 Home (64 bit) on one machine, and it works there.

I would suggest installing a minimal version of MiKTeX with the network installer, and then adding packages as needed. That way, if it's still broken, you will have expended less time finding out.

Good luck.
Paul